Greasley Parish.com

a wonderful insight into a truly inspirational place




Beauvale Priory

Beauvale Priory was founded in 1343 by Nicholas de Cantelupe, Knight of Greasley Castle and is now mostly incorporated in farm buildings. The pictures below were taken in July 2004 and hope to show the parts of the Priory that the public very rarely see as the site is not open to public access. 

This was a Carthusian Priory, it was the last one to be built and the first one to fall during the reformation, the prior and previous prior, John Lawrence and Robert Houghton were the first men to be hung drawn and quartered by King Henry VIII after refusing to agree to his terms. The Priory now has a tea room situated in the gatehouse for further information see their website www.beauvalepriory.co.uk.

Middle Floor Fireplace in Priors Cell

Top floor fireplace in Priors cell

Stonework from Priory

Priors House

Priory Window

Priory Doorway

Priory Floor

Window in Priors Cell